UB Air Pollution Wiki
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Wiki News
- 3 Recent Events/Proposal Calls/Presentations on UB Air Pollution
- 4 Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature on UB Air Pollution
- 5 Conference Proceedings, Abstracts and Webinars on UB Air Pollution
- 6 Organization Reports
- 7 Data Files
- 8 Peer-Reviewed Literature on Air Pollution/Atmospheric Science(Review/General Papers)
- 9 Useful Links
- 10 Site Use Tracking
- 11 Picture Gallery
The purpose of this Wiki is to provide a centralized location for data pertaining to air pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The site was created in order to benefit the local UB air pollution research community, scientists abroad looking for data on UB air pollution, and for general academic use. See something missing? You are encouraged to contribute information/data to this Wiki!
New Account Creation Procedure: To reduce spam to the site, we are changing the procedure for account creation. Please email Christa Hasenkopf at Christa<dot>Hasenkopf><at>Colorado<dot>edu for an account.
We would like to acknowledge funding from the National Science Foundation International Research Fellowship and the NSF-PEER program for their support in funding research related to this wiki.
- NEW UB AQ FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FEED - Start following UB_Air on Twitter or Facebook!
- MOST RECENT UPDATE TO NEWS PAGE (12 Jan 2014) Check it out!
- There is now a photo section to the wiki, in which photos related to UB Air Pollution can be added. Thanks to John Stampfl for adding the section and contributing the first photo!
Recent Events/Proposal Calls/Presentations on UB Air Pollution
Please post upcoming presentations on UB Air Pollution studies (or related studies) here. Also, if a recent presenter wants to put up links to a powerpoint, that would be great too.
- Recent Events (presentations over 12 months old may be deleted):
- Ulaanbaatar Gestation and Air Pollution Research (UGAAR) Study by Simon Fraser University
- There was be a talk by Simon Fraser Prof. Ryan Allen on the health effects at the 22 Jan American Center Speaker Series. More information here
- A Recent WHO Air Pollution Survey ranks UB as one of the most polluted cities in the world, in terms of PM10 and PM2.5. Check out this article in the Washington Post. Or check out the actual data set in the Data Files section below.
- Download this flyer (pdf) in Монгол Xэл, in English, and combined, containing a short overview of air pollution in UB. Thanks to Gerelmaa G. for translating!
- (Also listed under "DATA" below, thanks to John Stampfl): Check out the latest air quality conditions: Up-to-date Air Quality Measurments by the Air Quality Department, Capital City, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Air Pollution in Ulaanbaatar: Public Health Impacts and Research Opportunities by Prof. Ryan Allen at the American Center for Mongolia Studies Speaker Series, 22 Jan 2013
- UB air pollution presentation by S. Lodoysamba at the Green Bell NGO in January 2013 (7mb)
- USAID and NSF partner up to offer the PEER program! If you're a scientist from a developing country and know an NSF-supported scientist, you can team up with them to get funds to study in areas where NSF and USAID have mutual interests (e.g. global health issues, climate change impacts, and food security).
- In collaboration with the Mongolian Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization, Dr. Anne Riederer, a AAAS Sci & Tech fellow at the EPA, gave a workshop on Lifecycle Assessment, applied to stoves. The workshop was chocked full of resources (powerpoints, TRACI model, user manual, references). There was also an interesting presentation about mass-implementation of new stoves this winter by Mr. Batsaikhan, Vice Director of Air Quality agency of the Capital City. Information from the workshop they can be accessed here.
- The National University of Mongolia hosted The 5th Annual International Workshop on Applications of Remote Sensing and Space Science, June 6-7, 2011. There were some presentations on air pollution. You can check out the schedule here or visit: http://ssmongolia.yolasite.com/
- Air Pollution Studies in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: First Steps by Christa Hasenkopf at ACMS in May 2011. (Note: File is large: ~40Mb)
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature on UB Air Pollution
- (Commentary) Environmental pollution in Mongolia: Effects across the lifespan, Environmental Research
- Chemical characteristics of fine particulate matters measured during severe winter haze events in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association
- Land use patterns and SO2 and NO2 pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Environmental Research
- Particulate pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health
- Air Particulate Matter Pollution in Ulaanbaatar City, Mongolia, International Journal of PIXE
- Dust, biomass burning smoke, and anthropogenic aerosol detected by polarization-sensitive Mie lidar measurements in Mongolia, Atmospheric Environment
- The influence of emission sources and meteorological conditions on SO2 pollution in Mongolia, Atmospheric Environment
- Air particulate matter pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: determination of composition, source contributions and source locations, Atmospheric Pollution Research
- An assessment of air pollution and its attributable mortality in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health
- A major conclusion from the paper: It estimates 1 in 10 deaths in Ulaanbaatar is attributable to the city's air pollution.
- A non-technical article on the paper
- Carbon monoxide pollution and lung function in urban compared with rural Mongolian children, Respirology
- Chemical composition of urban airborne particulate matter in Ulaanbaatar, Atmospheric Environment
- The willingness to pay for mortality risk reductions in Mongolia, Resource and Energy Economics
- (Not specifically on UB air pollution; nevertheless, important for understanding the ambient aerosol) What caused a recent increase in dust outbreaks over East Asia?, "Geophysical Research Letters"
- Hygroscopic property of water-soluble organic-enriched aerosols in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia during the cold winter of 2007, Atmospheric Environment
- Air pollution and meteorological processes in the growing dryland city of Urumqi (Xinjiang, China), Sci. Total Environ.
- This study briefly mentions UB air pollution
- Organic and inorganic aerosol compositions in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, during the cold winter of 2007 to 2008: Dicarboxylic acids, ketocarboxylic acids, and α-dicarbonyls, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres
Conference Proceedings, Abstracts and Webinars on UB Air Pollution
- Courtenay Engelke, Henrik Wallman, Improved Heating Stoves for Air Pollution Reduction in Mongolia Webinar hosted by Winrock International and the U.S. EPA, July 12, 2012
- S.Lodoysamba, C.Pemberton-Pigott, Mitigation of Ulaanbaatar city's Air Pollution-From Source Apportionment to Ultra-Low Emission Lignite Burning Stoves, The Presentation Proceedings of International Conference on Domestic Use of Energy, 11-13 April 2011, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa
- Lodoysamba S., Steinar Larssen, Gerelmaa. G., Li Liu, Shagjjamba, D. and Jostein Nygaard Results of PM Air Pollution Baseline and Source Apportionment Study of Ulaanbaatar City of Mongolia, Proceedings of A&WMA International Specialty Conference Leapfrogging Opportunities for Air Quality Improvement, May 10-14, 2010, Xi’An Shaanxi Province, China, p187-193 (~40Mb)
- Air quality analysis of Ulaanbaatar : improving air quality to reduce health impacts, The World Bank
- Mongolia Heating in Poor, Peri-urban Ger Areas of Ulaanbaatar, The World Bank
- Air Pollution in Ulaanbaatar Initial Assessment of Current Situation and Effects of Abatement Measures, The World Bank
- Urban Air Pollution Analysis for Ulaanbaatar, The World Bank Consultant Report, Sarath Guttikunda
- 2007-ENVIRONMENTAL OUTLOOK OF THE ULAANBAATAR CITY, United Nations Environment Program
- Country Synthesis Report on Urban Air Quality Managment - Mongolia, Asian Development Bank & Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (Discussion Draft)
- Impact of Improved Stoves on Indoor Air Quality in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, esmap.org (supported by World Bank)
- HEALTH RISK ASSESSMENT OF INDOOR AIR QUALITY, World Health Organization
- MONGOLIA : STATE OF THE ENVIRONMENT 2002, United Nations Environment Program
- Up-to-date Air Quality Measurments by the Air Quality Department, Capital City, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- WHO Global Outdoor Air Pollution Survey Database
- Joe Flasher's UB Air Pollution API (that calls data from the ub-air.info site): http://ubdata.cloudfoundry.com/
Lodoysamba-Hasenkopf PEER Project Preliminary Data
Please Note: This data is preliminary, unofficial, and subject to changes pending further analysis. Please contact Lodoysamba or Hasenkopf below before citing or using and/or if you have any questions.
- Preliminary PM10 and PM2.5 monthly average measurements at Zuun Ail (Please contact Lodoysamba@gmail.com before citing or using)
- Preliminary BC monthly average measurements at Zuun Ail, Sansar, and NUM (Please contact Christa.Hasenkopf@gmail.com before citing or using)
- Updated Preliminary PM2.5 monthly average measurements at Zuun Ail (Please contact Lodoysamba@gmail.com before citing or using)
Peer-Reviewed Literature on Air Pollution/Atmospheric Science(Review/General Papers)
(listed in chronological order)
- Environmental Accounting for Pollution in the United States Economy (Nicholas Z. Muller, Robert Mendelsohn and William Nordhaus , The American Economic Review, 2011)
- Air pollution, greenhouse gases and climate change: Global and regional perspectives (Ramanathan & Feng, Atmospheric Environment, 2009)
- Clean Air for Megacities (Parrish & Zhu, Science, 2009)
- University of Michigan Inhaling a heart attack: How air pollution can cause heart disease 2009)
- Review article on Black Carbon's effect on Global and Regional Climate (Ramanthan & Carmichael, Nature, 2008)
- Review on Aerosol as CCN (Andreae & Rosenfeld, Earth-Science Reviews, 2008)
- Flood or Drought: How Do Aerosols Affect Precipitation? - A Review (Rosenfeld, et al., Science, 2008)
- Excellent review on optical properties of Black Carbon (Bond & Bergstrom, Aerosol Sci & Tech, 2005)
- Particle Concentrations in Urban Microenvironments (Levy et al., Environmental Health Perspectives, 2000)
- Monitoring Personal Fine Particle Exposure with a Particle Counter (Brauer et al., Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Edidemiology,1999)
- Characterization of Particulate Matter and Hydrocarbon Emissions from In-Use Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines (Bulgarski, University of West Virginia, 1999)
- Classic paper on the Twomey Effect (Twomey, Atmospheric Environment, 1990)
Site Use Tracking
Check out the map below which shows the 688 cities from the 88 countries around the world that have produced approximately 76,500 hits since late April 2011! Do you know some important information missing from this site? Contribute and help share it across the world! (Source: Google Analytics, updated 29 Jul 2013)
UB Air Pollution Photos Taken by UB community
UB Air Pollution Photos Elsewhere Online
(Thanks to Delgerzul Lodoysamba for these contributions)