From UB Air Pollution Data Wiki
Ulaanbaatar Atmospheric Science Club
UBASC Group Meeting at Papa's Cafe, 1 Oct, 2011. From left to right: Enkhbold, Nyamdulam, Dagii, and Christa
The Atmospheric Science Outreach Club is composed of Mongolian university students and interested citizens. Club members develop activities and travel to secondary schools in Ulaanbaatar to perform them. The goal of the club is to promote atmospheric sciences in secondary schools, develop strong leadership in young Mongolians interested in the environmental sciences, and inform young people about the serious air pollution problem in Ulaanbaatar.
We are performing an activity we have developed entitled, "How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in?" In the activity, students calculate how much air pollution (specifically PM10) Ulaanbaatar residents breathe in, in one year. Students do a "back of the envelope" calculation, in which they must estimate quantities such as the amount of air in one human breath (using balloons!) and how many breaths the entire population of UB takes in one year!
- Oct. 6, 2011: School #38, Grade 9a, Niimka, Dagii, Otgoo, Ashok, Lhaja, and Christa presented: "How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in?", (~30 students) (Pictures and write-up here)
- Oct. 13, 2011: School #38, Grade 9a, Christa and Javkhaa G. presented "What does an atmospheric scientist do?" (~30 students)
- Nov. 22, 2011: School #38, Grade 9b, Club presented "How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in?" (~30 students) (Pictures and Write-up here and here)
- May 21, 2012: NUM Undergraduate Physics Class, Prof. Tsolmon, Christa, Baska, Tunga, and Oyudari presented, "How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in?" as an activity the future physics teachers could incorporate into their own classroom (~20 students) (Picture and write-up here)
- Oct.17, 2012: American Cultural Center, general audience (~50 people) - Blog post here and pictures here!
- Dec.14, 2012: American Cultural Center, general audience (~10 people) - Blog post here and pictures here!
Interested in us visiting your school? Contact us at UBASOC@gmail.com! We can present in Mongolian or English. The "How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in?"activity for this semester takes about 80-90 minutes of class time.
Updated: 20 Nov 2011 - Thanks to Oyu for the great help! - finalized Mongolian versions now available!
- Activity: How Much Air Pollution Do We Breathe in? And what can we do about it?
How to Join
Any and all are welcome to join! Please send UBASOC@gmail.com an email expressing your interest.
- 6 Oct 2011 Pictures and write-up here