УЛААНБААТАР ХОТЫН АГААРЫН БОХИРДОЛ
This page is under construction. It will eventually house the Mongolian version of the UB air pollution wiki.
The purpose of this Wiki is to provide a centralized location for data pertaining to air pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The site was created in order to benefit the local UB air pollution research community, scientists abroad looking for data on UB air pollution, and for general academic use. See something missing? You are encouraged to contribute information/data to this Wiki!
New Account Creation Procedure: To reduce spam to the site, we are changing the procedure for account creation. Please email Christa Hasenkopf at Christa<dot>Hasenkopf><at>Colorado<dot>edu for an account.
- RECENT UPDATE (12/13/2011) There is now a "News" Page to the wiki, which lists recent published articles related to UB Air pollution. Check it out! It will also be permanently listed on the left hand navigation panel.
- RECENT UPDATE (11/27/2011) There is now a photo section to the wiki, in which photos of UB Air Pollution can be added. Thanks to John Stampfl for adding the section and contributing the first photo!
Upcoming and Recent Events/Proposal Calls/Presentations on UB Air Pollution
Please post upcoming presentations on UB Air Pollution studies (or related studies) here. Also, if a recent presenter wants to put up links to a powerpoint, that would be great too.
- Upcoming Events:
- RECENT UPDATE (10/03/2011) Announcing UB Atmospheric Science Club! We're an outreach group of students, young leaders, and generally cool people interested in teaching others (and learning more ourselves) about atmospheric science. Interested in learning more? Click here
- A Recent WHO Air Pollution Survey ranks UB as one of the most polluted cities in the world, in terms of PM10 and PM2.5. Check out this article in the Washington Post. Or check out the actual data set in the Data Files section below.
- Download this flyer (pdf) in Монгол Xэл, in English, and combined, containing a short overview of air pollution in UB. Thanks to Gerelmaa G. for translating!
- (Also listed under "DATA" below, thanks to John Stampfl): Check out the latest air quality conditions: Up-to-date Air Quality Measurments by the Air Quality Department, Capital City, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- Recent Events (presentations over 12 months old may be deleted):
- USAID and NSF partner up to offer the PEER program! If you're a scientist from a developing country and know an NSF-supported scientist, you can team up with them to get funds to study in areas where NSF and USAID have mutual interests (e.g. global health issues, climate change impacts, and food security). Proposals due end of Nov 2011.
- The Millennium Challenge Account - Mongolia released a call for proposals on air quality research. The proposal submission ended on Aug 26. Click HERE for more information.
- In collaboration with the Mongolian Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization, Dr. Anne Riederer, a AAAS Sci & Tech fellow at the EPA, gave a workshop on Lifecycle Assessment, applied to stoves. The workshop was chocked full of resources (powerpoints, TRACI model, user manual, references). RECENT UPDATE: 08/13/2011: There was also an interesting presentation about mass-implementation of new stoves this winter by Mr. Batsaikhan, Vice Director of Air Quality agency of the Capital City. Information from the workshop they can be accessed here.
- The National University of Mongolia hosted The 5th Annual International Workshop on Applications of Remote Sensing and Space Science, June 6-7, 2011. There were some presentations on air pollution. You can check out the schedule here or visit: http://ssmongolia.yolasite.com/
- Air Pollution Studies in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: First Steps by Christa Hasenkopf at ACMS in May 2011. (Note: File is large: ~40Mb)
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Literature on UB Air Pollution
- An assessment of air pollution and its attributable mortality in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, Air Qual Atmos Health
- A major conclusion from the paper: It estimates 1 in 10 deaths in Ulaanbaatar is attributable to the city's air pollution.
- A non-technical article on the paper
- Chemical composition of urban airborne particulate matter in Ulaanbaatar, Accepted manuscript, Atmospheric Environment
- (Not specifically on UB air pollution; nevertheless, important for understanding the ambient aerosol) What caused a recent increase in dust outbreaks over East Asia?, "Geophysical Research Letters"
- Air particulate matter pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia: determination of composition, source contributions and source locations, Atmospheric Pollution Research
- Hygroscopic property of water-soluble organic-enriched aerosols in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia during the cold winter of 2007, Atmospheric Environment
- Organic and inorganic aerosol compositions in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, during the cold winter of 2007 to 2008: Dicarboxylic acids, ketocarboxylic acids, and α-dicarbonyls, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres
Conference Proceedings and Abstracts on UB Air Pollution
- S.Lodoysamba, C.Pemberton-Pigott, Mitigation of Ulaanbaatar city's Air Pollution-From Source Apportionment to Ultra-Low Emission Lignite Burning Stoves,
Proceedings of International Conference on Domestic Use of Energy, 12-13 April 2011, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa
- Lodoysamba S., Steinar Larssen, Gerelmaa. G., Li Liu, Shagjjamba, D. and Jostein Nygaard Results of PM Air Pollution Baseline and Source Apportionment Study of Ulaanbaatar City of Mongolia, Proceedings of A&WMA International Specialty Conference Leapfrogging Opportunities for Air Quality Improvement, May 10-14, 2010, Xi’An Shaanxi Province, China, p187-193 (~40Mb)
- Air quality analysis of Ulaanbaatar : improving air quality to reduce health impacts, The World Bank
- Mongolia Heating in Poor, Peri-urban Ger Areas of Ulaanbaatar, The World Bank
- Air Pollution in Ulaanbaatar Initial Assessment of Current Situation and Effects of Abatement Measures, The World Bank
- Urban Air Pollution Analysis for Ulaanbaatar, The World Bank Consultant Report, Sarath Guttikunda
- 2007-ENVIRONMENTAL OUTLOOK OF THE ULAANBAATAR CITY, United Nations Environment Program
- Country Synthesis Report on Urban Air Quality Managment - Mongolia, Asian Development Bank & Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (Discussion Draft)
- Impact of Improved Stoves on Indoor Air Quality in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, esmap.org (supported by World Bank)
- HEALTH RISK ASSESSMENT OF INDOOR AIR QUALITY, World Health Organization
- MONGOLIA : STATE OF THE ENVIRONMENT 2002, United Nations Environment Program
- Up-to-date Air Quality Measurments by the Air Quality Department, Capital City, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
- WHO Global Outdoor Air Pollution Survey Database
Peer-Reviewed Literature on Air Pollution/Atmospheric Science(Review/General Papers)
(listed in chronological order)
- Environmental Accounting for Pollution in the United States Economy (Nicholas Z. Muller, Robert Mendelsohn and William Nordhaus , The American Economic Review, 2011)
- Air pollution, greenhouse gases and climate change: Global and regional perspectives (Ramanathan & Feng, Atmospheric Environment, 2009)
- Clean Air for Megacities (Parrish & Zhu, Science, 2009)
- University of Michigan Inhaling a heart attack: How air pollution can cause heart disease 2009)
- Review article on Black Carbon's effect on Global and Regional Climate (Ramanthan & Carmichael, Nature, 2008)
- Review on Aerosol as CCN (Andreae & Rosenfeld, Earth-Science Reviews, 2008)
- Flood or Drought: How Do Aerosols Affect Precipitation? - A Review (Rosenfeld, et al., Science, 2008)
- Excellent review on optical properties of Black Carbon (Bond & Bergstrom, Aerosol Sci & Tech, 2005)
- Particle Concentrations in Urban Microenvironments (Levy et al., Environmental Health Perspectives, 2000)
- Monitoring Personal Fine Particle Exposure with a Particle Counter (Brauer et al., Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Edidemiology,1999)
- Characterization of Particulate Matter and Hydrocarbon Emissions from In-Use Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines (Bulgarski, University of West Virginia, 1999)
- Classic paper on the Twomey Effect (Twomey, Atmospheric Environment, 1990)
Site Use Tracking
Check out the map below which shows the 206 cities from the 49 countries around the world that have produced approximately 11,150 hits since late April 2011! Why is Ulaanbaatar such a big, black dot? Because that is the place from which the most hits are coming! Do you know some important information missing from this site? Contribute and help share it across the world! (Source: Google Analytics, updated 30 Dec 2011)
UB Air Pollution Photos Taken by Wiki Users
|Add your Picture here!||Add your Picture here!||Add your Picture here!|
UB Air Pollution Photos Elsewhere Online
(Thanks to Delgerzul Lodoysamba for these contributions)